Spain’s emblematic snacks are taken to a higher level at Mallorca’s Peccata Minuta gourmet tapas events. Organised by the Balearic gastronomic association Chefs(in), they take place two or three times a year and we love to attend. There’s usually one around the time of Balearics Day (March 1st) and another in summer; we’ve also attended an indoor one in the theatre in Lloseta, and an autumn one in an atmospheric cloister in Inca. As you may have gathered, we are big fans!
The idea is that you buy a ‘passport’ in advance (numbers are limited to ensure the event runs smoothly) containing tear-out tokens which you exchange for the tapas and drinks, moving from stall to stall – rather than bar to bar, as in a traditional Spanish tapeo.
Peccata Minuta locations
Locations have included indoor markets (Mercat de l’Olivar and Mercat de Santa Catalina), the Museum of the Juan March Foundation and, last year, Son Vida Golf. Last night we attended this summer’s Peccata Minuta at Golf Son Muntaner on the outskirts of Palma. It proved to be good venue: plenty of parking, spacious clubhouse terrace, and bucolic views all around.
The Peccata Minuta of summer 2017
Last night’s Peccata Minuta featured eight chefs, master mixologist Rafa Martín of cocktail bar Brassclub in Palma, specialist wine store Vinamica, Marabans Coffee & Tea, and a Paulaner mobile bar, serving wheat beer. There were free bottles of Evian water and savoury Gori de Muro biscuits (a Mallorcan product worth seeking out in any good food store here) to dip into.
These were the participating chefs, with the name of their restaurant(s) and the tapa prepared for this edition of Peccata Minuta:
- Marga Coll – Miceli (Selva) and Arrels (Illetes) Crunchy apricot ensaïmada with almond ice cream.
- Rafa Sánchez – Port Blue Hotels & Resorts Prawns with coconut.
- Juan Portillo – Hotel Blau Porto Petro Monkfish with mussels, lentils, and saffron.
- Tomeu Martí – Arume (Palma) Thai-style butterfish (negrito).
- Pep Lluís Mayol – Ca’n Ribes (Sóller) Watermelon with tuna.
- Tomeu Lassio – Restaurante Tomeu Lassio (Lloseta) Black rice with cuttlefish.
- Andreu Genestra – One-Michelin-starred Andreu Genestra (Capdepera) & Aromata (Palma) Lamb tamale with spicy apricot.
- Miquel Gelabert – Can March (Manacor) – Iberian pork cheek and ‘trinxat’ of potato with vanilla.
DJ T-Mark (who presents a show on Mallorca Sunshine Radio played some cool tunes up on the clubhouse terrace up until midnight.
To find out more about Chefs(in), click here.
©Jan Edwards 2017